Story Nominations are now Closed: Thank you to all communities for their nominations. We will be sending out notifications soon regarding successful applicants.
Has your community been involved in an inspiring collaborative project, process or partnership that has improved local health and well-being? Have you learned valuable lessons about building healthier communities that you would like to share with others? Nominate your community story to be made into a short video!
What is a Healthy Communities Short Video?
Stories can bring meaning to our lives by revealing pivotal moments, giving voice to unsung heroes and describing the drama of our everyday accomplishments.
BC Healthy Communities Society (BCHC) is facilitating a province-wide story-telling initiative to shape the narrative around the impact of healthy community leadership in British Columbia. In fall 2015, The PlanH program will be selecting five community stories from different areas of BC to be developed into short videos that demonstrate how collaboration between local governments, health authorities and community partners (e.g .non-profits) can lead to positive changes in health and well-being.
BCHC on behalf of PlanH, will work with a professional videographer to visit your community, interview those that were involved, capture footage of your community and project, and develop a compelling video that tells your story. The videos will be featured on this website (www.planh.ca), shared province-wide and available for your community to use and distribute.
Why nominate your community story?
- The videos will be done professionally to be visually appealing and inspiring.
- The production process will be an opportunity to reflect and record what led to your success.
- The videos will be a great legacy piece for your healthy community work.
- The videos can be used by your community to celebrate and share your initiatives with Council as well as potential funders.
- The videos will be formatted for your website and social media for your community to enjoy and share with visitors.
What kind of stories are we looking for?
We are looking for stories that demonstrate collaboration and showcase how addressing healthy community issues requires moving beyond silos and working with whole systems. Specifically, we are looking for stories that:
- Describe a recent and innovative project, program, planning process, social innovation or partnership related to healthy community building.
- Highlight the role of one or more local governments in BC (municipality, regional district, etc.) in collaboratively advancing healthy communities initiatives.
- Demonstrate how different sectors have collaborated to achieve greater impact around health and well-being outcomes.
- Map out actions relating to a healthy communities topic such as healthy eating and healthy food systems, community planning, physical activity, transportation networks, social connectedness, etc.
Please visit the Take Action section of this website to review possible healthy community topic areas related to ‘healthy people, society, and environments’.
Priority will be given to applications that include partnership with a Health Authority. In our story selection, we will attempt to select a range of community sizes, locations and types (e.g. rural, urban) as well as an even distribution of communities from across the province.
How to nominate your story
Please complete the nomination form, found here.
While anyone can nominate a story, the story itself must demonstrate involvement and collaborative leadership of the local/regional government.
- Call for nominations: June 30 – September 11, 2015
- Story selection: September 11 – September 30, 2015
- Video development: October 2015 – February 2016
About BCHC’s PlanH program
The PlanH program supports local government engagement and partnerships across sectors for creating healthier communities. Recognizing that community policy, plans, and decisions affect health and well-being, PlanH provides learning opportunities, resources, and leading-edge practices for collaborative local action.
PlanH is a partnership between BC Healthy Communities Society and Healthy Families BC, and is informed by health authorities and other key stakeholders.